Hello! I am environment. I am the air you breathe. I am the surroundings your kids play in. I am the outside freshness when you jog or do your yoga. Today I want to thank you. Thank you that you are now starting to take care of me! I am very easy to please you see. It is the little things that matter to me! Here are a few simple planet friendly, sustainable lifestyle choices to follow from today:
1. Always carry a Big Shopping Bag: Sometimes planned, sometimes unplanned-one visit to a grocery store makes one buy at least four to five items. Although it appears to be a task to always carry a shopping bag with you but large canvas bags or reusable shopping bags are a planet savior.
They are large, foldable, come in different designs, and pocket-friendly too (because some stores charge for providing carry bags). Imagine the number of plastic poly-bags one shopping trip will save if everyone carried their shopping bags diligently. Such a small step!
2. Always carry Reusable Veggies/Fruits Bags: All the sellers pack every different vegetable or fruit in a separate plastic bag. What are they worried about? Cauliflower striking a conversation with broccoli? From the many options available online, one can buy cloth bags of varied sizes and use them while visiting market.
What is the use of feeding your body with nutritious food while feeding this planet with poisonous plastic that will will sooner or later enter your bodies only?
3. Re-use waste water of AC’s and Water Purifiers: Did you know most RO water purifier systems have a waste water to purified water ratio of between 2:1 to 6:1? But a machine does not know water’s worth but thank goodness humans are not machines. There are so many creative ways to store and re-use waste water from AC outlet water pipe and RO water purifiers. The wastewater can be re-used to mop floors, clean cars, clean washrooms, wash clothes, etc. etc. There are as many uses of this water as many are humans.
4. Give-Up Plastic Bottled Water: When people leave the house, they don’t forget to lock it or turn-off the stove. Then why while leaving their homes, they mostly forget to carry their own water-bottle? Carrying a stainless steel or copper water-bottle is not only pocket friendly and planet friendly but it also saves people from the intake of poisonous chemical that leeches from plastic into the water.
5. Use Stainless Steel or Glass Tiffin Box: What is the need to use plastic tiffin boxes anyway when eco-friendly options of stainless steel and glass are available in plenty. Glass tiffin boxes or storage containers are mostly microwavable and stainless steel options are break-resistant. Take your pick!
6. Buy Reusable Stainless Steel Straws: Yes. They are a thing. Reusable stainless steel straws are available online. Stock up on them and carry one in your purse so that you don’t put that plastic straw in your gorgeous looking hazelnut cold coffee.
7. Re-use glass jars: Many grocery items like olives, jalapenos, pizza dressing, vinegar, etc come in glass bottles and jars. Once the item is finished, clean them to re-use them in creative ways. You can re-use them to store other items or for decor purposes as well. Many people use glass jars for growing mini herbs, storing cotton balls etc.
8. Say Absolute No to Plastic Cutlery: Always add the note of not sending any plastic cutlery whenever having food delivered at home. The food surely gets delivered in disposables but do you really need that plastic spoon and fork while eating at home? Such a thoughtful step for a better future!
9. Clean surfaces with Water and Vinegar: One cleaner for mopping floors, another for dusting tables, another one for cleaning mirrors, and one more for cleaning bathroom tiles. Like seriously! How can you even remember where to use what solution? Also, not to forget that all these cleaners come in different plastic bottles that once finished, will land up in landfills.
The price you pay for a clean home is not what you pay to buy varied cleaners but it is that empty plastic bottles that fill our surroundings.
If you haven’t already, then read this post on how to use Vinegar as a wonder cleaner for your home and save on spending time and money on different cleaners. Not to mention, it is planet-friendly too.
10. Energy saved is equal to energy created: This one sentence was taught in school and yet many a times people forget to follow it diligently. Any and every kind of energy can be saved. Turn off electrical appliances when not in use. Time your shower so that water is not wasted. Limit the speed of water while washing hands or washing utensils. Layer yourself properly in winter so that use of heater is minimized. Etc etc.
As many are people, as many are planet friendly lifestyle choices. Just be cautious while using any of earth’s resources and you shall find your own way of contributing to your very own planet.